Half-Blood Prince Countdown





Wednesday, 01 October 2008

Swellendam Re-Visit!

As mentioned in a previous post, earlier this week we went to Heidelberg to collect out latest addition to our family, Nuschka.

As we traveled to Heidelberg we had to pass through Swellendam, a little town close to my heart. This town is where 90% of my family lived, even still up to today. Since my last visit was nearly 18 years ago, and in unfortunate surcumstances a funeral, I was as excited as a little child waiting for Santa Claus to come.

I firstly went to see the church my grandfather help to built, secondly drove down the Main Rd looking for places still familiar to me like the Oasis Supermarket where we use to spend all our money on cool drinks and bubblegum. Lastly I went to my grandparents house, well it's been sold after my grandmother died, which was 18 years ago. Accept for some small changes it still looks exactly the same I can remember. The fruit trees, chicken house (no more chickens), the stoep (porch)we all use to sit on and wave as  familiar faces drove past. 

I got a lump in my throat, remembering the good old days, when things were still plain and simple, no worries, family still getting together for Christmas and Easter holidays, and people already departed from us, still around. Those were the days, what I will not give to experience them one more time!

 Dutch Reformed Church

Our favourite hang out!

A place we use to call home......


Breede River

Oostenberg region and mountains

For more info on this region visit: http://www.overberginfo.com/content/view/14/564/

No comments: